Every Volkswagen owner wants to be treated the same way; unique. That is why our McCarthy Volkswagen Owner's section offers you the latest tips on keeping your Volkswagen in optimum condition, at all times of the year.
Something to Smile About
What your McCarthy Volkswagen dealer will do for your vehicle's ego:
- all dealerships are situated at the most convenient locations
- all after sales staff are qualified and trained to VWSA standards
- only VWSA approved equipment is used by all dealerships
- all vehicle electronics are checked with the VAS5051B at normal routine services
- all dealerships offer a 12 month guarantee on labour (adjustments / settings - 3 months)
- keep your Volkswagen a Volkswagen with genuine parts that come with a 12 month guarantee
- courtesy services available at all dealerships.
1) "Check List" before leaving on a long trip:
- Is the vehicle servicing up to date?
- Tyres & tyre pressure.
- Spare wheel, lock nut, wheel spanner & jack.
- Engine fluid levels.
2) Plan your route with 2 hour stops.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q When should the cambelt be replaced?
A We recommend that the cambelt should be replaced at 90 000kms on all models.
Q Can I take my vehicle to any panel beater?
A No. It has to be a Volkswagen approved panel beater / MBR (Motor body repairer)
see our VWSA Approved Body Repair Centres list.
Some of our vehicles have a 10 year paint warranty.
Did you know that anti-freeze should be renewed every 24 months as it:
- lubricates the water pump
- prevents scaling of the cooling system
- lowers the boiling point of the radiator coolant
- prevents freezing in winter
- prolongs engine life
- enables the engine to reach operating temperatures quicker for more efficient fuel consumption
Top 10 tips for happy summer motoring
Fuel Saving Tips
- Make sure your car is serviced regularly. Check your service book as it is its all too easy to overlook the service date.
- Check your headlights and indicators for cracks and missing glass or plastic. Keep the lights clean.
- Check your wiper blades for wear or splitting. Make sure there’s enough window washer fluid.
- Check oil and water levels and top up if necessary.
- Check battery connections – they must be tight and free of corrosion.
- Check that the tension of the fanbelt is right and that it’s in good condition – adjust or replace as required.
- Check the condition of your tyres, including the spare, plus tyre pressure and legal tread depth.
- Inspect the jack and wheel brace, and make sure you are confident using them.
- Inspect car keys / remote for wear and general condition, replace if necessary. Make sure you have a spare set in a safe place.
- If in doubt about any of these key points, call your nearest McCarthy VW dealership. We are always happy to help.
Click here for more Fuel Saving Tips
Volkswagen Genuine Parts
- Don't drive aggressively – quick starts, hard stops and aggressive driving can increase fuel consumption by up to 37%.
- Drive at the posted speed limit – increasing your cruising speed from 100 km/h to 120 km/h will increase fuel consumption by about 20%.
- Don't idle – when you let your vehicle idle longer than 10 seconds, you burn more fuel than you would restarting the engine.
- Drive only when you need to – leave your vehicle at home whenever possible by walking, biking, blading, carpooling or taking the bus to nearby locations.
- Plan ahead – If you have to drive, plan the most fuel-efficient route in advance.
- Use your vehicle's air conditioner sparingly – using your air conditioner in stop-and-go traffic can increase fuel consumption by as much as 20%. Try opening the windows or fresh air vents to cool your vehicle.
- Measure the inflation level of your tyres once a month. A single tyre under-inflated by just 56 kPa (8psi) can increase your vehicle's fuel consumption by 4%.
- Use cruise control – on dry, flat wide-open highways, use cruise control to help improve fuel efficiency by maintaining an even speed.
- Maintain your vehicle properly – a poorly maintained vehicle consumes more fuel, produces higher levels of emissions, requires expensive repairs and has a low resale value.
- Safe driving is fuel-efficient driving.
- McCarthy VW now offers you, our client, a 10% saving on fuel costs. According to statistics, for every one liter of fuel burnt in a motor vehicle the Air filter cleans 1000 liters of AIR. Therefore regular Air filter replacements can improve your fuel consumption by 10%
Situated in Pretoria our Central Warehouse is stocked with the widest range of Genuine Volkswagen Parts and Accessories. These can be on your doorstep through our National Network of Branches at no extra cost.
If by chance we do not have the part you require in stock, our logistics team is well equipped to source and obtain the part for you from the VWSA Warehouse and Dealer Network throughout South Africa and even from the Manufacturer in Germany.
Contact our National Dealer Network for all parts queries.